Become a Resource Parent with Us
San Diego Youth Services’ Resource Family Agency certifies, trains and supports families willing to open their hearts and homes to our most vulnerable population: foster children. Since 1976, our foster families have provided safe, structured and caring home environments for abused and neglected children.
Get started in becoming a Resource Parent today!
1. Attend an Orientation
Call our Recruitment & Retention Coordinator to set up an Orientation: (619) 221-8600 x2264
2. Complete Application
Resource Family Application
3. Initial Interview
This will take place in your home with your family. San Diego Youth Services will conduct a primary home inspection and an initial interview of the family.
4. Complete Background Check (all adults 18 years+ in home and within property line)
– Live scan
– CCL Criminal Background Documents
– Health Screening and TB Test (Cost is $50/adult)
5. Complete Home Study
San Diego Youth Services will complete a comprehensive interview of all family members to ensure the family matches needs.
6. Reference Check
San Diego Youth Services will conduct several references:
– County reference approval
– Personal character references
7. Complete 40 hours of Intensive Foster Care Training
Once steps 1-6 are complete, resource parent applicants will be invited to attend the 40-hours pre-certification trainings.
* Must also complete eight-hour CPR & First Aid not included in the 40-hour pre-certification.
8. Final Home Inspection
If there are recommendations to update home to meet CCL standards, this inspection will follow up with confirmation of compliance.
9. Resource Parent Agreements
San Diego Youth Services will go over the expectations and agreements to ensure safety, stability and well-being of children and family.
San Diego Youth Services will welcome you and your family to ours!