Human Trafficking Facts
- Human trafficking does not require that a victim be moved over state or international borders. Human Trafficking is also a domestic issue inside CA state and San Diego County.
- 27 million people are trafficked each year worldwide, with approximately 18,000 victims in the U.S. (U.S. Department of State)
- Human trafficking is one of the most profitable criminal enterprises with estimates of profit worldwide of $32 billion, and 9.5 billion annually in the U.S.
- The FBI has ranked San Diego as one of the 13 worst regions in the United States with up to 8,000 victims per year.
- Human Trafficking that is based in sexual exploitation and its related forms of pimping and pandering form the majority of criminal prosecutions.
- Youth who identify as LGBTQ+ are particularly vulnerable. An astonishing number of hidden victims are boys and youth who identify as LGBTQ+